This lesson provides answers to common questions related to Student Course Section Completion Tool for use in creating a SCSC upload to CALPADS.
What is SCSC?
SCSC refers to the Student Course Section Completion file providing student completion in classes for EOY reporting. Student completion = final grades.
Where to Start
- Click on Reports
- Under Admin, select State Reporting
- Once on the State Reporting Tools page, select CALPADS Student Course Section Completion (SCSC) Extract
Please note that the order seen on the above screenshot may be different than the order of reports, extracts, and tools available in your list.
CALPADS SCSC Overview
- Validation Logs:These are logs predicting potential errors with the SCSC submission. Disclaimer: Because of the potential for constant changes to CALPADS error codes and file specifications, there may be false positives in the Validation Logs. For best support in troubleshooting, it is advised to attempt your upload to CALPADS and review any error codes with CALPADS' system documentation.
- View as Standard Report:This option will let you run the report like you would any custom/prebuilt report in Illuminate.
- Start Date/End Date:When running for EOY certification, the report can be run using the start and end dates of the academic year.
- Generate Report:Clicking this will run the tool to show data for the site, academic year, and dates entered.
- Download Options:The results can be downloaded as Excel, PDF, Tab Delimited, or More formats.
The CRSC file must be submitted to CALPADS before the SCSC file.
Downloading SCSC for CALPADS Submission
Once you've generated data, select More and then click on the radial option next to CALPADS for the appropriate format to submit and then click Download.
Things to Know
- Review your Grading Period setup. If you have multiple final grading periods (common with secondary sites), ensure the Term Type for each final grading period is unique.
- Example: If you have 2 final grading periods, such as Semester 1 Final and Semester 2 Final, ensure the Semester 1 Final grading period is set to the First Semester term type and Semester 2 Final is set to Second Semester term type. See the Set Grading Periods help document for reference on creating/editing grading periods.
- Incorrect grading period setup will often show errors around duplicates.
- If grading period Term Types are edited, you must re-submit CRSE and SCSE to CALPADS (CRSE first, SCSE second), then submit the CRSC (third) and SCSC (fourth).
Carnegie Units Earned
A new column for Carnegie Units Earned has been added with the following logic:
- For final grades being pulled into the SCSC, where grade levels 9-12 and CRS-State Course Code is less than or greater than 1000, the following default values will appear:
- Semester Class with passing grade earning credits = 0.5 Carnegie Unit
- Full Year Class with passing grade earning credits = 1 Carnegie Unit
- Quarter Class with passing grade earning credits = 0.25 Carnegie Unit
- Trimester Class with passing grade earning credits = 0.33 Carnegie Unit
- Hexmester Class with passing grade earning credits = 0.17 Carnegie Unit
- Classes with failing grades earning 0 credits = 0 Carnegie Units
In the event the default logic does not apply for student records, manual changes must be made in CALPADS.
Note: Semester, Full Year, Quarter, Trimester, Hexmester classification relies on Term Type settings of Secondary Final Grading Periods. Term Type values must also be state mapped in Code Management to pull into SCSC file.