This lesson details the Advanced Options when printing answer sheets.
Available Advanced Options
Flexible Sheet Layout allows you to customize your form if your assessment has Constructed Response or Number Grid question types. The three layouts Lightning Grader offers are vertical, columns, and horizontal. See below for a detailed view of each layout.
This option is available for Flexible assessments only.
- This option will apply by default unless changed.
- Vertical layout numbers questions top to bottom for up to three columns if the assessment is strictly Multiple Choice, Number Grid questions.
- Uses all three columns for Constructed Response questions.
- If an assessment contains any Constructed Response type questions, questions will be listed in one column.
- May create many pages if multiple Constructed Response questions are on an assessment.
Below is an example of a vertically formatted sheet that contains Multiple choice, Number Grid, and Constructed Response. The assessment is 3 pages long.
- Horizontal Layout numbers questions left to right in 3 columns.
- Uses all three columns for constructed response questions.
- This option reduces the number of pages but can be confusing to follow for lower grade levels.
Below is an example of a horizontally formatted sheet that contains Multiple choice, Number Grid, and Constructed Response. The assessment is 2 pages long.
- Column layout numbers questions top to bottom in 2 or 3 columns.
- Does not matter what question type is used, always formats question in columns.
- Constructed Response questions are represented in one column wide.
- Creates the least amount of pages.
- Constructed Response boxes are smaller.
Below are two examples of columns formatted sheets that contains Multiple choice, Number Grid, and Constructed Response. The assessments are both 1 page long. Choose this option to save paper or print multiple forms per page with constructed response items.
Currently, answer documents can accommodate up to two answer forms depending on the number of questions, bubble size, question types, and sheet layout. For example, if an assessment has 50 questions and the bubbles size is set to small, two forms per document will fit. If an assessment has 50 questions and the bubble size is set to large, only one form per document will fit.
Please use Print Preview to test the various layouts and bubble sizes for your sheets. This is a quick way to play around with the options so that you can create the perfect answer sheet for your test.
Lightning Grader allows 5 different bubble sizes:
- Small is default size.
- Medium is 30% larger than small.
- Large is 40% larger than small.
- XL or Extra Large is 50% larger than small.
- XXL or Double Extra Large is 65% larger than small.
If you always print larger bubbles, you will currently have to select large bubbles every time you generate a PDF. It does not save as a user setting.
- Group by class is defaulted to Yes
- This means that it will print with the class information included in the header.
- It will also print multiple sheets for a student that is in multiple classes unless filtered correctly. Please make sure your filter is correct before printing. As always, please print a test sheet before printing the entire group.
Ready to scan? Visit Grade with Camera for more information.