This lesson provides step-by-step guidance on creating an Drawing Response Item using the NEW Item Bank. This item type allows students to construct a response using mouse-based drawing tools. This is a manually scored item type.
Where to Start
- Click Assessments.
- Select Browse Item Bank NEW.
Create a New Item
- Click Create Item at the top right hand side of the screen.
- Use the drop down menu to select Drawing Response as the item type.
Drawing Response Items
- Enter the Item Stem. The stem is the beginning part of an item that presents a problem to be solved, a direct question, or an incomplete statement to be completed, as well as any other relevant information.
- To insert a line break in the Stem, use shift-return (or shift-enter, depending on the keyboard).
- Upload an Image as applicable. Once an image is uploaded, use Replace Image to upload a different image.
- Use the drop down menu to select the maximum number of Points.
- If the lowest possible score for the item should be 1 rather than 0, mark the Exclude zeros checkbox.
- Use the space below each point value to enter Rationale.
Drafted items are automatically saved.
- To link Standard(s) to the item, click the Three Pages icon.
- To link a Passage to the item, click the Book icon.
- To add Tags to the item, click the Tag icon.
- Additional Settings are available to edit per item such as allowing a Background Image, Prompt, and Teacher Instructions.
Users must link at least 1 standard when creating an item. If attempting to publish an item without standards, an error message will appear asking for standards to be aligned before publishing again.
- Click Item Preview to see a preview.
- You can select to preview the item from a Student or Instructor role.
- Test the item by using the available Drawing Tools.
- When you've completed creating/editing your item, click Done.
- To make your item available to use in an assessment click Publish.
- To save an item that you aren't ready to publish, click Save Draft.
- To delete your item click Discard.
Once items are Published, you can Lock, Edit, or Delete the item.
Now that you have created an Drawing Response item, learn about Creating a NEW Item Bank Assessment.